Monday, February 25, 2008

Confessions of a Clothing Snob

Last year I lost a bunch of weight - 26 lbs! Finally, I saw a size 10 again - and wow was that great! Due to some stupid girl problems, I had to take hormones which brought me back up to a size 14 but now the hormones are gone and I'm on my way back down - size 10 is just a few pounds away! I should finally get to the weight I have determined is right for me around June/July - then I quit smoking! Then back on the diet to lose those pesky smoking pounds then finally - my 'asset reduction' surgery sometime around Thanksgiving - which means I will be a total 'dime piece' by the big FOUR-OH!

When I first lost all my weight - I started giving away my wardrobe - jeans, suits, dresses and even shoes (did you know that you can lose weight in your feet?) My co-workers were thankful as they were going through weight loss themselves. However, a consistent comment I got was that I was a "Clothing Snob".

That one shocked me. I am very big on personal integrity (do my deeds match my words?) and I pride myself on being a person who does not look down on others: I can't even watch Dr. Phil or Jerry Springer because I feel that those shows are designed to make fun of people who have not had the same advantages as me. I remember my mom's reaction to a classmate at her 20th year class reunion. The gentleman was in a wheelchair with a halo attached by screws to his forehead. He drooled and smelled like he hadn't had a shower in weeks - yet my mom ran right up and hugged him. That lesson has always stayed with me - and I'm not sure she even knows that.

Anyway - back to me. A clothing snob? How could I be a snob? It is incongruent with my personal motto to that everyone is equal, so why were my co-workers saying this about me? I cornered "The Sus" and made her spill the beans - and guess what - my clothes all had designer labels. I blame Randy.

When we first met, I was working as a waitress. Whenever I needed a pair of shoes, I would go to Payless. After my 5th pair of crappy black pumps he finally said "Why don't you just buy a pair of black pumps at Nordstrom for $75 that will last longer?" So I tried it - and now I'm addicted...to nice shoes, makeup, clothes....

However, what most of my friends know about me is that I'm a fanatic bargain shopper. I love brand names, but I get them at Nordstrom Rack. Most of my shoes come from there as well. I like quality but I'm only willing to pay full retail for a few things - and only in a size 10 and only for classic wardrobe staples. But here's a couple of my secrets:

1. I invest in a new coat every year - but I buy it only at the end of the season. Beautiful dress coats are 1/2 off or more at the end of the season. Pick a classic style and you will have it forever...follow the trends by buying a scarf in the latest color but stay with a classic cut on the coat.

2. For shoes - spend the money. I wear 3" to 4" heels every day. I could probably run the 50 yard dash in most of them. Why? Because they are quality shoes. Good shoes are priceless - trust me on this.

Let me address my final splurges: purse and sunglasses. I carry the same purse everyday. I don't switch out and I don't like cheap purses - and I don't give those away so deal with it. As for sunglasses? Every nice pair I have ever bought I still have. I don't lose them. And if I want to fork out some serious wallet lettuce for designer glasses? I will. If these items make me a clothing snob? Then I'm all in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alas, I suppose I am one of those that were like, "You spent WHAT!?! on those sunglasses?" But for me, I do not view you in any way as a clothing snob. In fact, I look to you as my fashion guru. For me, I hope that someday I get to the point where I can spend X on shoes, clothes, and sunglasses. But with a teenager, her tastes are expensive. I do have my hair professionally done and I treat myself to other things as well. I am jewelry hog, love the necklaces, etc. I wanted to say that thanks to you, as a receipient of some of your clothes, you changed my style! I went into a clothing coma for many years, not realizing that, duh! I wasn't dead. I was still a hottie as you are! So when I grow up, I want to celebrate Laurakah and be a clothing snob. I have the bitch card, can't wait to get the clothing snob card too!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the "quality is worth it" front. I preger Coach handbags, they last forever and you can always find the classics at the outlet shops, often on sale. My hubby spent less than the original price after taxes a few years back when I, er, we found one out by Tulalip. Once in a while, he really spoils me.

texxan said...

All I have to say is that Randy should get as much Chrome as he wants!!!! haha. See you at the Game!